Beginner’s Guide to Social Security Forms

There are many different Social Security forms you may need to use for the program. However, the specific document you need depends on what you are requesting from the Social Security Administration (SSA). Whether you are applying for Social Security (SS) or changing the name on your account, there is a specific form you can use.

If you do not want to experience delays in your application processing time, you must know which Social Security form to submit. If you are applying for or receiving SS retirement benefits, the following types of documents could be useful to you. However, keep in mind that you may need to use additional forms, which depends on your unique situation. If you have specific questions about the documents you should use, contact your closest Social Security office.

The Social Security Application Form for Retirement Benefits

The Social Security application form you need to use to apply for retirement benefits is SSA-1-BK. This document is also called the Application for Retirement Insurance Benefits. If you want a hard copy of this application, your Social Security office should have one you can pick up. Alternatively, you can download a copy of this application on the SSA’s website. If you want to fill out and submit this form online, you can also use this option.

Social Security Change of Address Form

The Social Security change of address form is available online and can be used to update your information. However, if you are unable to complete this task online, you can call the SSA or contact your local Social Security office. Program officials can help you change your address.

Social Security Direct Deposit Form

The Social Security form you need to use to sign up or change your direct deposit information is available online. To file this request, you need to have your banking information ready to enter. If you are wondering “When will I use my Social Security account?” keep in mind, it is needed to complete this request.

Social Security Tax Form

You can go online to request your Social Security tax form. Once you submit your petition to receive this document, you can then receive your SSA-1099 or SSA-1042. You can also go to an office and request your Social Security withholding form. In any case, make sure you obtain this document before you attempt to file your taxes for the year. You need to report the SS benefits you receive annually.

Social Security Appeal Form

The appeal document is one of the Social Security administration forms you may not need to use. However, you may be required to file a Social Security appeal if your request for benefits is denied and you feel it was wrongful. You can either submit your appeal online or with the Social Security office.

This site is not affiliated with the SSA or any other government services.