How to File a Social Security Appeal Form

The Social Security appeal process is in place for applicants who were denied benefits by the Social Security Administration (SSA). If you are unhappy with this decision, you can request to have your case reevaluated. In order to do this, you must file an official Social Security appeal form with the SSA.

Generally, you have 60 days to appeal a Social Security denial. It is important that you do not let this deadline pass. Otherwise, you may risk forfeiting your right to file an appeal. While you may not want to have your application for Social Security denied, it is important that you know what to do if it happens.

Where to Find a Social Security Appeal Form

You can find a Social Security appeal form online. With this method, you can fill out your information and submit your appeal from a computer. Alternatively, you can appeal your Social Security denial by calling the program’s official number. You may also contact your Social Security office directly and file your appeal through the agency.

What happens after I submit my Social Security appeal letter?

After you submit your request to appeal a Social Security denial, the motion is sent to the appropriate parties. If this is your first time appealing this decision, your appeal is sent to a different case worker who was not involved in issuing your first determination, called a reconsideration determination. Then, you will receive a notice explaining whether your SS appeal was successful or not.

How long does a Social Security appeal take?

Once you file your request to appeal a Social Security denial, you may need to wait until your case is reevaluated. The Social Security Administration Office of Hearings and Appeals may be unable to hear your case quickly. This is especially true if there is a high volume of pending cases. However, you can always check your Social Security appeal status online.

What to Do if You Are Denied Social Security Again

If you receive a second denial notice from the Social Security Administration after your reconsideration determination, you can appeal again. Your next appeal goes to an administrative law judge (ALJ). If you disagree with his or her decision, you can appeal again to the Social Security Appeals Council. If the council denies your appeal, you can send your request to the federal court to be reviewed.

This site is not affiliated with the SSA or any other government services.