How to Apply for Social Security by Phone
If you want to apply for Social Security by phone, the procedure is easy to complete. The process is direct, and you can file your application using this method no matter where you are located. The Social Security Administration (SSA) is responsible for managing this program. This is a federal initiative, which means application procedures are the same nationally. Applying for Social Security (SS) may seem intimidating. However, if you gather the necessary materials beforehand, you can efficiently file your claim.
There are several different ways you can submit your Social Security application. However, one of the most convenient ways is to apply by phone. When you call the program’s toll-free number, you will be connected with a program representative. By answering the agent’s questions, you can apply for Social Security benefits without visiting the office.
Information You Need to Apply for Social Security Over the Phone
When you are ready to submit your Social Security application by phone, be ready to answer specific questions about your eligibility. The representative you speak with will need to ask you questions that relate to:
- Personal information. Social Security office case workers need to know your name, Social Security Number (SSN), where you were born and your native language.
- Work history. In order to submit your SS application, you need to answer questions regarding how long you worked and paid Social Security taxes. You also must report if you had any recent work-related injuries.
- Military service. If you served in the military, you need to inform your SS office when you apply for benefits.
- Your family. You need to report information relating to your children, as well as your current or past marriages.
- Income. You cannot file your Social Security application unless you report your earnings.
Documents You Need to Submit to the Social Security Office
Regardless of how you choose to apply for SS, there are certain documents you need to submit along with your application. These include:
- Your Social Security card or your SSN.
- Tax documents from the previous year, such as a W-2 form.
- Proof that you are a U.S. citizen or a lawfully-present immigrant.
- Your birth certificate or equivalent documentation.
- Military discharge papers, if you served before 1968.
If you do not have these documents needed to apply for Social Security retirement benefits, you may still be able to apply. However, you must contact your Social Security office and speak with a program official. He or she should be able to help you obtain the supporting documents you need to complete your application.
What number do I call to apply for Social Security by phone?
If you want to apply for Social Security benefits by phone, call the program’s toll-free number. You can file your application by calling 1-800-772-1213. If you are hearing impaired and need teletype (TTY) services, the phone number to apply for Social Security benefits is 1-800-325-0778.
This site is not affiliated with the SSA or any other government services.